Thursday, June 26, 2008

Chicks are here!!!

Our chicks arrived today!! For a couple of years now, I have been telling Jason and my parents that I wanted to get some chickens for the farm. From the beginning, Jason said "Go for it!" because he really is that kind of a husband. My parents looked at me like I was crazy. We always had chickens when I was a kid and my dad had chickens his whole life (the farm is where my Dad grew up). In fact, the farm had a huge hen house and a brooder house up until a few years ago when they decided that no one would ever have chickens on the farm again and they tore them down. (The hen house wouldn't have been useable anyway but the brooder house was salvageable and obviously hindsight tells us we should have left it standing!) Well, my Mom decided about a year ago that she too would like to get some chickens again so her and I started our planning. When I say planning what I really mean is we started telling Dad and Jason that we're going to get chickens and they need to come up with a chicken house for us! I still feel Dad's reluctance about this but he's a very giving man and has never told me "No".


I did a lot of research (as is my nature) and found the breeds that we wanted....Light Brahmas and Silver Laced Wyandottes. Both are good layers of brown eggs, docile, quiet and tame. I don't want mean chickens. The plan is that I'm going to keep the Brahmas and Wyandottes here in our garage for a few weeks so that Leah and I can tame them down. The 20 Cornish Cross broiler chicks are going to the farm for Mom to take care of....since we really don't want Leah making a pet out of a future dinner!


Leah and I were SO excited when we got the call this morning that the chicks were waiting for us at the post office!! We could hear them peeping when we walked in the door. We brought them home, unpacked them one by one, showed each one the water and just stood back and smiled ear to ear! They are SO DARN CUTE!!! I honestly spend the entire afternoon looking at them. I probably checked the temperature of their box about 50 times! I'm a crazy chicken momma!!!


I ordered them from Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon, MO and am very pleased with everything. They shipped when they said they would. They arrived in great condition and are nice, healthy chicks.


Let me just share some of the cuteness with you....

My little chick helper.....



Even Lucy was excited.



3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Mom told me you got them today! How exciting! That's a sound I can still remember from the farm when I was a little girl....the peeping of baby chicks. I also vividly remember collecting eggs with Grandpa. So Cute! BTW...Leah's shorts are too cute.

Carmen Buller said...

I didn't know you had a blog!!! LOVED READING EVERY ENTRY. I am so bad at writing on ours but you got me motivated to share the latest on baby development. Also, I miss the sound of baby chicks! I remember how cute they are and then something happens and they aren't so cute but taste so good!!

Anonymous said...

I love the blog!! It keeps me updated on all your family activities.........I hope Leah is enjoying her chicks, has she taught them to relax by turning them upside down? Sorry about the bad day on the farm, things can go no where but up. Grandma Anneli