Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The past 2 weeks

The past 2 weeks have been very busy. We finished up the packing and got moved out of our house this past Friday. We had a family group hug in the kitchen then walked out the door.
Then, it was on to the farm for the weekend where we had lots to do to keep us busy. We spent a lot of time with the chickens. I think one of the Light Brahmas might be a rooster which I am totally excited about! I wanted a rooster but was afraid I was going to have a hard time finding a Brahma one! I'm not 100% sure yet but "he" definitely has some signs of being a roo.....I'll keep my fingers crossed.


We also spent a lot of time in the hay field. Jason just bought an old square baler for $200....they didn't even know if it was going to work or not but for $200 it was worth a try! Dad and Jason spent a little time cleaning, greasing and wrenching on it then took it out to the field for a try.
It worked! This might sound strange, but it was so exciting!! We all kept looking at each other from our "stations" in the field and smiled. We ended up with about 400 square bales!

As I sat there on the tractor, I kept thinking about how this was the beginning of our new lifestyle. I tried to take it all in. I watched my Dad baling with a 50-60 year old baler that was the same as one his Dad used and could tell by the smile on his face that he was completely enjoying himself. I watched my husband bucking bales onto the trailer and knew how happy he was to finally be so close to his dream of farming. I watched my Mom drive Leah around on the 4-wheeler to watch us and hoped that Leah would appreciate the lifestyle we are choosing. I'm pretty sure she will...she has a list of animals she wants to get and also told me "Mom, if we're going to be farmers then I'm gonna have to get a farmer's hat."



1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I get teary looking at the empty house picture....it's always hard to walk away. BUT, then I get even tearier (a word?) when I see pics of the farm. The old square bales bring back many memories. Leah MUST have a hat!